You will need:
- 225g cold butter, diced
- 350 plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280 mincemeat
- 1 small egg beaten
- icing sugar, to dust
- pinch oƒ salt
Heat the oven to 220C/gas 6/fan 180C
- To make pastry, rub the butter into flour, then mix in the sugar and add a pinch of salt.
- Combine the pastry into a ball – don’t add liquid -and knead it briefly. The dough will be fairly firm, like shortbread dough.
- Line 18 holes of two 12-hole patty tins, by pressing small walnut-sized balls of pastry into each hole.
- Spoon the mincemeat into the pies
- Take slightly smaller balls of pastry than before and pat them out between your hands to make round lids
- Top the pies with their lids, pressing the edges gently to seal.
- Brush the tops of the pies with the beaten egg.
- Bake foe 20 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
- To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar.
They will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. All you have to do now is enjoy! Have a happy Christmas and a happy New Year!