Facts about Owls
Owls are wonderous, sleek birds that are nocturnal and are mostly found in woodlands, forests, farms or anywhere with lots of trees. By the way, nocturnal means they sleep in the morning and wake up at night as it is easier for them to catch mice. By the way my favourite owl is a Snowy Owl!
All the Breeds of owl I know
There are many breeds of Owl from Eagle Owl to a Elf Owl so here are the most common breeds of owl and ones that I know so here is the list Barn Owl, Long Eared Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, Barred Owl, Burrowing Owl, Saw-Whet Owl, Short Eared Owl, Elf Owl, Snowy Owl, Great Grey Owl, Spectacled Owl, Great Horn Owl, Eagle Owl Spotted Owl, Western Screech Owl. So their you have it that is the breeds of owl and common owls I know.
Don’t have owls as pets
However, basic advice to those who may be considering keeping an owl as a pet is – DON’T. To begin with, owls do not make very good pets. Beautiful, majestic and as awe-inspiring as they may be, in captivity they can be noisy, smelly and dirty and will need a lot of your time, care & attention. They require a regular, specialist diet, and in our opinion to be kept properly they need a large, purpose-built
aviary which can be expensive to build and maintain. Also, it should be considered that owls are predators. They can be quick, powerful and with the sharp talons they use to kill prey, extremely dangerous – especially for children. Even falconers with many years experience of bird handling have lost eyes or been severely scarred by wayward captive raptors. With the heightened awareness of owls amongst youngsters due to the success of the “Harry Potter” books and films, author J.K. Rowling has made a strong plea to fans not to copy their hero by keeping owls as pets.
She says, “If anybody has been influenced by my books to think an owl would be happiest shut in a small cage and kept in a house, I would like to take this opportunity to say as forcefully as I can: You are wrong.”
Fun Facts about Owls
Owls are intriguing birds that easily capture the attention and curiosity of birders. These facts may help clear up a bit of their mystery and reveal what a hoot owls really are.
1.Many owl species have asymmetrical ears.
2.When located at different heights on the owl’s head, their ears are able to pinpoint the location of sounds in multiple dimensions. Ready, aim, strike.
3. The eyes of an owl are not true “eyeballs.”
4. Their tube-shaped eyes are completely immobile, providing binocular vision which fully focuses on their prey and boosts depth perception.
5. Owls can rotate their necks 270 degrees. A blood-pooling system collects blood to power their brains and eyes when neck movement cuts off circulation.
6. A group of owls is called a parliament. This originates from C.S. Lewis’ description of a meeting of owls in The Chronicles of Narnia. Owls hunt other owls.
7. Great Horned Owls are the top predator of the smaller Barred Owl. In fact, owls are insanely good hunters.
8.The tiniest owl in the world is the Elf Owl, which is 5 – 6 inches tall and weighs about 1 ½ ounces. The largest North American owl, in appearance, is the Great Gray Owl, which is up to 32 inches tall.
9.The Northern Hawk Owl can detect—primarily by sight—a vole to eat up to a half a mile away.
10. In fat years when mice are plentiful, usually monogamous Boreal Owls are apt to be promiscuous.
11. Because easy prey means less work for parents feeding their young, males have been caught mating with up to three females, while females have been seen with at least one beau on the side.
12. Barn Owls swallow their prey whole—skin, bones, and all—and they eat up to 1,000 mice each year. Northern Saw-whet Owls can travel long distances over large bodies of water.
Film Time Yeah
Now you know facts about owls, the breeds and not to keep them as pets. Do you know the story of the owl babies? If no then I bet you will like it if yes then you already know what happens just enjoy it. So grab some popcorn and a drink and enjoy the story of the owl babies animated. Starring the three baby owls Sarah, Percy and Bill . jus click on the link to watch it.
Hope you enjoyed and I will look forward to writing to you again soon. Bye!
Oh and before I forget, no negative comments please! Also, if you want to you can give me ideas for |articles! I also would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff who help out with Fab Mag, the article writers, and all of you for reading my article and every other article as well because it encourages me and everyone else to carry on the work we do so thank you so much!