- 350 g/12 oz plain flour
- 1 tps of ground ginger
- 1/2 tps of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tps ground cloves
- 1 tps bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g/4 oz butter
- 1 egg
- 175 g/6 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsps golden syrup
- Sieve together the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, then add the sugar.
- Add the beaten egg and the golden syrup, then mix together to form a dough.Tip out onto a work surface and knead for a minute until the dough is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C Gas mark 4.Roll out the dough to about 5 mm thick, then cut out shapes using a biscuit cutter.
- Lay the biscuits onto a baking sheet lined with a baking parchment paper, then bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly on the tray,then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.Store in a air tight tin.