- ½ cup (102 grams) shortening (or butter, margarine, or any type of fat used for baking and making pastries)
- 1 ½ cups (300 grams) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 ½ ounces red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups (315 grams) flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Step 1: Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
Step 2: Pour the mixture equally into two cake tins.
Step 3: Put the cake tins into the oven to bake for an hour.
Step 4: Once baked carefully remove from the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes before adding any icing.
Step 5: Mix the white icing sugar together and spread evenly all over the cake. Leave to set and then in a bowl mix together some more white icing sugar, add the red food colouring to it and pour over the top of the cake for a bloody Halloween look.
This is how it will look.