Ingredients for the cake
- 150g (5oz) chocolate chips
- 75g (3oz) butter (softened)
- 4 medium eggs
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 30g (1oz) self-raising flour
Ingredients for the glaze
- 175g (6oz) chocolate chips
- 150ml (1/4 pint) double cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 225g (8oz) fresh berries
A 20cm round cake tin,at least 7 1/2 cm deep
- Heat the oven to 180 C, 350 F, gas mark 4.Using a paper towel grease the inside of the tin with cooking oil. cut out a piece of parchment paper the same size as the bottom of the tin. Now lay it inside the tin.
2.Now pour 2 inch of water into a large saucepan and heat.Remove the pan from the heat when the water starts to bubble.
3. Put butter and chocolate drops in to a large heatproof bowl and put the bowl into the pan. Then stir till melted and then take the bowl out of pan
4. Break an egg onto a plate and cover the yoke with an egg cup hold the eggcup and tip the plate so the egg white goes into another bowl. Put the yoke into a cup for later
5. Do the same with the rest of the egg whites are in a bowl and the egg yokes in a cup. Whisk the egg whites until they are really thick.
6. Add the egg yolks and sugar to the melted butter and chocolate stir them in. Sift the flour over the mixture and stir it in. Then add the whisked egg whites.
7. Gently fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake it in the oven. After 20 minutes take the cake out of the oven.
8. Cover the cake with tin foil to stop the top of it from burning. Put it back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. When the cake is firm, take it out of the oven.
9. Leave the cake in the tin to cool for 20 minutes. Run the knife around the sides of the tin. Turn it upside down over a wire rack and shake it so the cake falls out.
10. For the chocolate glaze, put chocolate drops, cream and syrup into a small pan. Heat it up and gently stir the ingredient together until they are melted.
11.Spoon some chocolate glaze over the top of the cake don’t stop until it covers the sides. Place fresh berries on the top of the cake to decorate it. (optional)